With a strategic approach and a growth mindset, Karyn develops innovative solutions for complex projects and issues.
Karyn is an experienced leader and collaborator who delivers exceptional results. She joined MartinJenkins in 2018 after 11 years in the local government sector, working with Wellington and Porirua City Councils. She’s armed with a broad set of management skills, including project and financial management, strategy development, and people management. She is politically astute, with strong relationship skills and a successful partnership approach.
Karyn’s areas of experience include asset management planning, policy, engagement, media, strategic communications, internal communications, crisis communications, revenue and business development, recreation programming, recreation development contribution planning, emergency management, sponsorship, fundraising and social enterprise.
Some of the projects Karyn has led include:
• Asset and reserve management plans – for example, for sports fields, artificial turfs, cemeteries, playgrounds and parks
• Business cases and feasibility studies for sport and recreation facilities
• Management of enterprise audit projects, including business case, governance structure, project plan and recruitment
• Strategic planning and policy development
• Communications audit and organisational re-design, including corporate communications strategy
• Strategic community engagement plans
Karyn holds a Master’s degree (Merit) in Public Management from Victoria University. Before her time in local government she worked in the sport and recreation sector – in high-performance sport with the New Zealand Academy of Sport and at a regional delivery level with Sport Northland.
Karyn is also Chair of the Shift Foundation Charitable Trust. Shift is an initiative to improve the wellbeing of young women aged 12 – 20 years through sport, recreation and leadership opportunities.